I saw the cartoon of the geeky outdoorsman sitting at his worktable creating yet another ultra-light piece of backpacking gear and it made me laugh out loud.
Yes, it’s true that this blog is a vehicle for selling his new book, but Mike Clelland still offers some great ultralight backpacking tips here. It started me thinking about the wealth of information available through outdoor blogs – from humorous to serious, fact-driven to anecdotal.
There are blogs for expedition leaders and ones for weekend warriors, for seasoned backcountry veterans and first-timers, for gear junkies and brand loyals. There is something for everyone, everywhere, doing everything related to the outdoors.
Obviously one blogger can’t possibly cover it all, so I thought I’d offer a roundup of six of my favourite outdoor blogs to read.
Six blogs of Interest (in no particular order):
- The Armchair Adventurista – tagline: “all about true adventure, all the time.” Be sure to check out the pic of the shocking pink dragon millipede!
- Looking to ski a new line on Lhotse? Check out the Adventure Blog for this and news, commentary and insights on adventures and adventurers from around the globe.
- Tom Mangan’s site, Two Heel Drive, is a must-read for hikers, campers and nature cravers.
- Outdoor news, all the time – that’s Extreme Adventure News.
- Summit Stones Adventure Musings is an artistic endeavor with poetic writings and stunning photography.
- The Gear Junkie. Need I say more?
What’s one of your favorite outdoor blogs? Let me know and I’ll add it to the list.