Skip a few miles from the car and you can forget packing a cooler to keep your lunch refreshingly cool – and edible! What’s an outdoor adventurer to do? Start by packing a lunch that can take the heat – without the stove!
Here are a few suggestions:
- Crumbled ramen noodles (dry in package with a little of the seasoning packet sprinkled on top)
- Turkey jerky
- Fresh carrots and snow peas
- Yogurt-covered raisin GORP
- Bagels stuffed with cream cheese, slices of cucumber and salami – a staple!
- Raisin oatmeal cookies
- Tabouli-stuffed pita
- Hummous and fresh red pepper slices
- Cherry Larabar
- Cheese bagels stuffed with ham and a dollop of Dijon mustard
- Peanut butter cookies
- Curried Brown Rice Chickpea Salad (made evening before and put in resealable sandwich bags with plastic spoons. Mix together 1 cup cooked instant brown rice, ½ can chickpeas rinsed and drained, ½ diced red pepper, ¼ cup chopped red onion, handful of raisins, ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro. Whisk 1 ½ Tbsp lime juice, 1 tsp honey, 1 ½ Tbsp olive oil and 1 tsp curry powder. Pour over rice mix. Top with 2 Tbsp sliced and toasted almonds.)
- Banana bread